- A conservative newspaper slammed Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a self-professed socialist, after she reportedly spent $US300 on a haircut.
- The Washington Times, citing sources at the Last Tangle Salon in Washington DC, reported the Congresswoman “shelled out $US80 for a haircut and $US180 for lowlights” plus a 20% tip.
- As it turns out, $US300 for a cut and colour is a pretty normal price to pay in Washington.
- A Business Insider survey of price lists for six nearby salons, offering similar or identical treatments, yielded an average cost of $US297.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A conservative newspaper lambasted Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Wednesday after she reportedly spent $US300 on a haircut, while proliferating socialist ideals.
The Washington Times, citing hair salon sources, said Ocasio-Cortez visited Last Tangle Salon, 3.2 miles from Capitol Hill, in September, “and shelled out $US80 for a haircut and $US180 for lowlights.”
“The self-declared socialist, who regularly rails against the rich and complains about the cost of living inside the Beltway, spent nearly $US300 on her hairdo at a pricey salon she frequents in downtown Washington,” the newspaper wrote.
The article went on to quote Richard Manning, president of Americans for Limited Government, who said: “She preaches socialism while living the life of the privileged,” adding that it “is a bad look to spend hundreds of dollars to get your hair done to make a video decrying income inequality.”
The Washington Times’ total assumed Ocasio-Cortez would leave a 20% tip ($US52,) although it did note that Ocasio-Cortez’s stylist did not respond to a request for comment on how much she tipped.
Despite the protestations of the paper, $US80 for a haircut and $US180 for hair colouring is perfectly normal for central Washington, DC, commentators jumping to Ocasio-Cortez’s defence said. It’s far below what any public figure scrutinised daily on TV spends.
Business Insider conducted a simple survey of salons near to Last Tangle Salon and to Capitol Hill, Ocasio-Cortez’s place of work, and discovered that spending $US300 for a cut and colour is par for the course in the nation’s capital.
Here are a handful of the prices we found:
- The same cut and colour would have cost Ocasio-Cortez $US336 at Ian McCabe studio, 3.5 miles from Capitol Hill and near Last Tangle Studio, with a ladies cut (from $US95,) half-head colouring ($US185,) and 20% tip ($US56.
- At Jasmine Lynette Aesthetic, 1.6 miles from Capitol Hill, Ocasio-Cortez would have paid $US288 for a woman’s haircut ($US80,) a partial colouring treatment ($US160,) and a 20% tip ($US48.)
- At Michael Anthony Salon, Ocasio-Cortez could expect to pay a maximum $US341 for a haircut ( $US79 to $US115) and partial colouring ($US139 to $US169.) Plus a 20% tip ($US56.80.)
- At Norah Critzos, a salon three miles from Capitol Hill, Ocasio-Cortez could have forked out up to $US360 for a cut ($US65 to $US130) and lowlights ($US170,) plus a 20% tip ($US60.)
- At Bubbles, in Capitol Hill, Ocasio-Cortez could have got the same package for $US160 with a women’s cut and blow dry (from $US58) and partial colouring (from $US75) plus a 20% tip ($US27.)
The average cost across all six salons for the same cut and colour Ocasio-Cortez reportedly asked for is $US297.
The Washington Times, quoting a staff member at Last Tangle Salon, said: “AOC was extremely nice and even took several selfies with patrons.”
Many internet users were quick to come to Ocasio-Cortez’s aid, noting what Business Insider found, that $US300 for a haircut is not that much, given that public appearances are her job.
Author and columnist Jessica Valenti wrote on Twitter: “This is not an expensive haircut/colour for a public figure who is frequently on TV.”
Author and opinion columnist at the Washington Post, Helaine Olen, tweeted: “Leaving all other issues aside, $US80 for a woman’s haircut is a bargain in NYC. What are people expecting #AOC to do? Go to a salon’s free hair model night?”
Ocasio-Cortez tweeted a story from Citizens for Ethics on Thursday which cited State Department contracts showing vice president Mike Pence’s visit to Trump Doonbeg golf course in Ireland cost the taxpayer $US600,000.
“I wonder if Republicans care about corruption as much as they care about a woman’s cut & colour,” she wrote.
Won’t you look at that: Mike Pence used *taxpayer funds* – not personal ones – to spend several thousand haircuts’ worth of public money on a visit to Trump golf courses.
I wonder if Republicans care about corruption as much as they care about a woman’s cut & color. https://t.co/xBze4obZhv
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) October 10, 2019
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.