- France took an early lead over Croatia in the World Cup final on an own goal during a free kick.
- The goal would have never happened if not for an egregious flop by Antoine Griezmann.
- Griezmann went to the ground long before contact and sold it perfectly to the ref who was in a bad position to judge the foul.
France took an early lead over Croatia in the World Cup final on an own goal during a free kick, but the goal would have never happened if not for an egregious flop by Antoine Griezmann.
Griezmann took a pass near the box and sensing some pressure from his left and behind, he went to the ground and a foul was called. However, the replay showed that there was no contact between the defender and Griezmann until he was already on the ground.
In this sequence, it is obvious that Griezmann kicks out both legs well before the contact.
“It looked like he actually lost his footing,” Fox announcer Stuart Holden said. “I’m not even sure he touches him. The contact actually comes when Griezmann is already on the ground … That’s a dive.”
One problem was the position of the referee who was behind the defender.
He had to look through the defender to see any contact.
From that angle, Griezmann sold the flop perfectly.
The referee called the foul and awarded a free kick.
Griezmann’s kick eventually found the back of the net off of Croatia’s Mario Mandžukić, to give France the early lead.
More World Cup coverage:
- France and Croatia will play for the World Cup and an extra $US10 million
- A World Cup photographer was run over during Croatia’s goal celebration, still did his job, and captured some amazing pics
- The most mesmerising photos from the World Cup so far
- England captain Harry Kane ‘gutted’ to be knocked out by Croatia – but he could still win the golden boot
- Cristiano Ronaldo: How the biggest sports star on the planet makes and spends his millions
- Can you spot the famous soccer stars in this World Cup brainteaser?
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.