- Expedia released the results of its 2018 Aeroplane and Hotel Etiquette Survey on Monday, which revealed some of the most annoying behaviours on aeroplanes.
- Respondents said they were bothered by smells, noise, contact, and unwanted conversation, indicating that what travellers want is personal space.
- From pet peeves cited by 18,229 respondents, Expedia came up with the five most annoying types of airline passengers.
As airlines increase the number of seats on their planes and maker them smaller, the potential for passengers to feel like their personal space is being invaded has increased.
Flying is stressful to begin with, and after dealing with long security lines, expensive food, or a crowded seating area, passengers can be put on edge and become more likely to display or notice inconsiderate behaviour. Expedia released the results of its 2018 Aeroplane and Hotel Etiquette Survey on Monday, which revealed some of the behaviours that bother air travellers most.
“Whether you’ve been on one vacation or 100, you’ve likely experienced some form of annoying behaviour while travelling,” Expedia global head of communications Nisreene Atassi said in a press release. “At Expedia, we want to ensure that every leg of a traveller’s journey is enjoyable. Our goal with this study is to better understand travellers’ biggest pet peeves and offer tips to help them maximise comfort and minimise annoyances.”
The survey collected responses from 18,229 people across 23 countries. While the responses pointed to a wide range of irritating behaviours, a common theme seemed to be a preference for minimal interaction with other passengers. Respondents said they were annoyed by smells, noise, contact, and unwanted conversation, indicating that what travellers want most is personal space.
From there, Expedia came up with the five most annoying types of airline passengers. Here are the top five, along with the percentage of respondents who cited them.
5. Audio Insensitive — 29%
4. Personal Space Violators — 34%
3. The Inattentive Parent — 39%
2. The Aromatic Passenger — 43%
1. The Seat Kicker/Bumper/Grabber — 51%
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.