- Angelina Jolie opened up about motherhood in a special edition of Time’s Parents newsletter, which she guest edited.
- The “Salt” actress wrote that when she was younger, she doubted whether she would become a mother.
- Jolie now has six children who she shares with her ex-husband, Brad Pitt.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In a special edition of Time’s Parents weekly newsletter, which Jolie guest edited, the actress and humanitarian wrote a letter to readers reflecting on parenting during a pandemic and motherhood, in general. The UN special envoy wrote that she didn’t think she was suited for motherhood when she was younger.
“I was not a very stable youth,” the “Maleficent” actress wrote. “In fact, I never thought I could be anyone’s mum.”
Angelina Jolie has publicly talked about the challenges she faced while growing up
Over the years, Jolie has opened up the struggles she faced when she was younger. Jolie engaged in self-harm when she was a teenager and had a contentious relationship with her father, Jon Voight.
After Jolie adopted her oldest son, Maddox, from Cambodia in 2002, she said she realised just how natural it was for her to parent.
“It wasn’t hard to dedicate myself to someone and something greater than my life,” she wrote in her piece for Time.
The actors have three biological children together – Shiloh and twins, Knox and Vivienne
Jolie said she encourages her children to make their own choices
Jolie has shared that she takes somewhat of a “hands off” approach to parenting and encourages her children to discover their own identities, she told the BBC’s “Today” program in 2018.
“[My kids] all have a good rebellious streak that is wonderful and curious,” Jolie said. “I don’t want them to be perfectly behaved little people that just say what’s absolutely appropriate because I say so. They have to find themselves.”
- Read more:
- Dr. Fauci promised a 7-year-old girl that the Tooth Fairy can’t get the coronavirus and will continue her visits
- Richard Gere just had his second baby at age 70 with his wife Alejandra Silva
- A couple named their newborn son ‘Sanitiser’ to remind people to keep their hands clean
- Serena Williams and her daughter dressed up as Anna from ‘Frozen.’ She said princess attire is ‘required’ at their house.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.