- Heavyweight boxer Andy Ruiz Jr. stunned the boxing world on Saturday with his TKO win over heavily favoured champion Anthony Joshua.
- Ruiz Jr.’s win sets him up for additional headlining bouts in the future, but first, he seems intent on accomplishing a different goal – earning a sponsorship from Snickers.
- Ruiz Jr. has long been complimentary of the candy bar, saying Snickers gives him “everything I need to get the win.”
- After his shocking upset win, Snickers reached out to Ruiz Jr. to send him a care package.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Andy Ruiz Jr. stunned the boxing world on Saturday with his seventh-round TKO of heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
The win was one of the biggest upsets in modern boxing history and made Ruiz Jr. the first heavyweight champion of Mexican descent in the history of the sport.
Ruiz Jr.’s quick catapult to fame puts in position for more big-money fights that could see him face the likes of Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder, in addition to what will be a must-see rematch against Joshua. But for now, Ruiz Jr. seems intent on using his newfound star power towards another goal – earning a sponsorship from Snickers.
Ruiz Jr. has long been a fan of the popular candy bar, repeatedly shouting out Snickers before even booking his championship bout. Here he is in April after his win over Alexander Dimitrenko, casually pulling a Snickers bar from his breast pocket mid-interview.
On Twitter, Ruiz Jr. would regularly tag Snickers in posts and even went as far as to explain why he believed so much in his favourite candy bar.
When asked in another interview if he was going to be sponsored by the brand, Ruiz Jr. said he was working on it, and went on to discuss what the brand meant to him.
“My dad would always give me a Snickers before a fight,” Ruiz Jr. said. “It gives me energy. It gives me everything I need to get the win.”
— AndyRuizjr (@Andy_destroyer1) May 23, 2019
After his huge upset against Joshua, Snickers finally responded to Ruiz Jr.’s praise, tweeting out a message of support and informing him that they were sending a care package his way. Ruiz Jr. responded with excitement.
Send me a dm please. Let’s go snickers!!???? https://t.co/XFcVA8rRnY
— AndyRuizjr (@Andy_destroyer1) June 3, 2019
Ruiz Jr.’s knockout win was a sensation not just because it was an upset, but because of how his body type compares to Joshua. Joshua’s build looks like he was crafted out of marble, while Ruiz Jr. looks like a man that does enjoy the occasional Snickers.
Ruiz Jr. has already proven he’d be a phenomenal spokesman for the brand, and after winning the heavyweight championship, it looks like he might be one step closer to fulfilling another dream.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.