- Andreessen Horowitz is asking visitors to its office to avoid shaking hands amid the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak.
- The venture capital firm isn’t the only company to take precautions: LG has pulled out of a global tech event, cruise ships are being quarantined, and Apple supplier Foxconn is quarantining workers.
- The death toll from the virus has risen to 563 with more than 20,000 infections confirmed so far.
- Health experts say the best way to prevent the virus from spreading is to wash your hands.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz doesn’t appear to be taking any chances amid the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak.
Technology researcher Tim Hwang posted on Twitter Thursday a photo taken outside the VC firm’s office doors. Affixed to the door is a sign that reads: “Due to the Corona Virus, No Handshakes Please. Thank You.”
no handshakes please
thank you pic.twitter.com/SOQ9ZqttB2
— Tim Hwang (@timhwang) February 6, 2020
Representatives for Andreessen Horowitz didn’t immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment. On Thursday night, Marc Andreessen posted a tweet about how the coronavirus is spread, circling the line about shaking hands.
Public Service Announcement pic.twitter.com/1SOVa5rsfa
— M A (@pmarca) February 7, 2020
The outbreak has been spreading for the last several weeks – the death toll in China has risen to 563, and more than 20,000 infections have been confirmed so far. The city of Wuhan has been locked down for the last three weeks in an effort to prevent the spread of the outbreak.
Andreessen isn’t the only company taking precautions as the coronavirus continues to spread. Cruise ships have been quarantined off the coasts of Japan and Hong Kong, Apple supplier Foxconn has quarantined workers for up to two weeks, and companies like LG and ZTE are pulling out of events at global conferences over fears of the outbreak.
And while the coronavirus has led to a global face-mask shortage– with some sellers charging as much as $US7 per mask – health experts say the best way to prevent the spread of the virus is to wash your hands and stay away from sick people.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.