Plenty of Zuckerberg worship going on, but it’s important to note that much of it is deserved. The man is clearly talented, ballsy, and shrewd.
- Drops out of Harvard (obvious in hindsight, but a move perhaps 0.2% of Harvard students would ever consider).
- Builds Facebook.
- Blows away competition.
- Raises plenty of top-tier venture capital.
- Walks away from guaranteed dynastic wealth (and annoying last-minute negotiating ploy) offered by Yahoo mogul CEO Terry Semel.
- Ignores outraged “experts” raving about lunacy of Facebook $6 billion valuation.
- Ignores outraged “experts” raving about lunacy of Facebook $10 billion valuation.
- Triggers bidding war between Google and Microsoft.
- Ignores outraged “experts” raving about lunacy of Facebook $10-$15 valuation.
- Makes smart decision to raise a mountain of money when he can instead of when he has to.
- Masterfully negotiates through press, dissing Microsoft (and stoking Ballmer competitive fire).
- Makes Microsoft pay $240 million for the right to sell remnant ads in Europe while setting valuation for financing at $15 billion–and gives up almost nothing in return.
- Takes another $500 million from New York hedge funds.
- Establishes paper net worth of approximately $3 billion at age 23.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.