We’re 10 days into our Kickstarter pledge drive (see it or pledge right here) to raise $10,000 for a beautifully produced, one-time HD newscast which we will distribute online via our show’s DLCast.com YouTube channel, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
The project has received 17 backers so far, totaling a $575 commitment. I hope many more will pledge today and over the weekend. We were hoping Kickstarter would feature the project on its homepage for additional exposure, but since this has not happened, all contributions thus far have come from repeatedly asking the show’s fans on Twitter to contribute and spread the word.
The idea behind the project is to create a compelling news package, designed so viewers can easily share with other members of the public, warning American citizens about:
* Lasting effects of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil disaster.
* The civil rights destroying National defence Authorization Act of 2012, which received very little media coverage after Obama signed it into law. (We remain one of the most visited sources of information on that topic.)
* The ongoing operation of Guantanamo Bay to house inmates without trial.
* Warrantless eavesdropping of American citizens’ communications: more than 1.7 billion emails, phone calls, text messages and other communications are intercepted and stored daily, without proper court warrant.
* The ongoing threat posed by draconian “cybersecurity” bills members of Congress are trying to quietly push through, even though the public firmly shot down SOPA and stated we don’t want government censorship or intrusion of the free, global Internet. A new bill, introduced by Sen. McCain, would grant the U.S. military shocking new powers and surveillance abilities over civilian Internet traffic.
Click here to contribute to the project’s Kickstarter fund, or learn more.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.