Let’s run through the numbers from the latest CNN poll.
- 56% oppose the financial rescue package.
- 53% oppose providing new capital in exchange for equity stakes.
- 58% think that providing any financial assistance to keep a big company is a bad idea.
- 64% disapprove of Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson’s performance.
- 73% disapprove of George Bush.
And now we know why John McCain has been proposing plans to give homeowners mortgage relief. That might be a bad idea, but it’s a bad idea supported by 58% of Americans polled. Sheila Blair, the FDIC Chairwoman who has said publicly called for mortgage relief, is probably feeling pretty good about herself right now.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.