Fights have been breaking out in the suddenly unfriendly skies over the right to recline your seat in coach. On Tuesday, a Delta flight was forced to divert from a scheduled landing so that combative passengers could be kicked off.
Given that there have been several of these incidents over the past week and a half, we wondered if the airlines were making any changes.
Here’s what American Airlines told us:
• There’s no policy for reclining seats.
• Since there’s no policy, cabin crews won’t be making proactive seat-reclining announcements.
• American hasn’t seen an uptick in unruly passengers, and only a small percentage of flights have been affected by unruly passengers.
• Cabin crew will intervene only when the safety of the passengers is an issue.
• The captain has ultimate discretion on whether a flight will divert.
We also reached out to Delta and United. We’ll update if they get back to us.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.