- Amazon announced a “record-breaking” holiday season with more items ordered than ever before.
- Top sellers included Amazon devices like the new Echo Dot, LOL Surprise! dolls, and Bose noise-reduction headphones.
- Amazon continues display dominance in holiday shopping as customers trust it for last-minute gifting.
Amazon had a very good holiday season.
The company, while declining to produce any sales numbers, said it had a “record-breaking” holiday season with customers ordering more items from the website than ever before.
The items that contributed to the more than 1 billion items sold – as Amazon’s CEO of worldwide consumer Jeff Wilke said in a statement – included Amazon devices like the new Echo Dot, as well as LOL Surprise! dolls in the Glam Glitter series, Carhartt clothing and accessories, and Bose QuietComfort Wireless Headphones.
Other Amazon devices that sold well were the Fire TV Stick 4K and the regular Echo. A lot of customers paired their Echos with the best-selling smart home devices, like the Amazon Smart Plug, the Ring Video Doorbell 2, TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug Mini Outlet, and the iRobot Roomba 690 – all best-sellers.
The biggest toys of the year, besides LOL Surprise dolls, were the Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster, Melissa & Doug Scratch Art Rainbow Mini Notes with Wooden Stylus, Crayola Inspiration Art Case, and the Lego Creator Mighty Dinosaurs Toy. Tech goodies also flew off the virtual shelves.
Apart from the Bose headphones, Amazon said the Samsung 65″ 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV, the Apple iPad, WiFi and 32 GB edition in Space Grey, the Wemo Mini Smart Plug, the Blue Yeti USB Microphone in Blackout, the Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera, and HP Sprocket Photo Paper were all best sellers.
For apparel and accessories, customers scooped up Carhartt, which Amazon says sold 1 million units over the holiday, as well as Calvin Klein, Champion, and UGG brand items.
Prime’s guarantee, and the trust customers have in it to get their gifts to them in time to give for Christmas, makes Amazon’s peak of the season both later and greater than that of its online competitors.
That means best-sellers will likely differ from Amazon when compared to other online websites as its peak gifting period is usually closer to December 18, when compared to Walmart and Target, which is closer to December 10, according to data from Rakuten Intelligence.
Here’s the full list of Amazon best-sellers for the holiday season:
- The new Echo Dot (third generation)
- LOL Surprise! Glam Glitter series
- Carhartt clothing and accessories
- Bose QuietComfort 35 (series II) Wireless Headphones
- Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa remote
- Amazon Smart Plug
- Ring Video Doorbell 2
- TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug Mini Outlet
- iRobot Roomba 690
- Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster
- Melissa & Doug Scratch Art Rainbow Mini Notes with Wooden Stylus
- Crayola Inspiration Art Case
- Lego Creator Mighty Dinosaurs Toy
- Samsung 65″ 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV
- Apple iPad, wi-fi and 32 GB edition in Space Grey
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug
- Blue Yeti USB Microphone in Blackout
- Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera
- HP Sprocket Photo Paper
- Calvin Klein brand clothing and accessories
- Champion brand clothing and accessories
- Ugg brand clothing and accessories
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.