- The method to report a missing package on Amazon differs depending on whether it was sold by Amazon or a third party.
- Amazon’s multistep process ensures customers receive the items they have paid for or are refunded if they’re not satisfied.
- Customers have up to 90 days to report a missing package.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Given the many thousands of orders Amazon receives and processes daily, it’s understandable that packages may occasionally be delayed or even go missing. As frustrating as this can be, Amazon offers a multistep returns process to ensure customers receive the items they order or that they’re refunded if something goes wrong and the package is lost in transit.
How you report a missing package to Amazon and how the claims process is handled depends on whether the item was sold by the company or a third-party seller. However, before you contact Amazon with a refund request or an inquiry into your package’s whereabouts, there are a few ways you can investigate this yourself.
How to track down a missing Amazon package
1. Check the tracking information for the order in question via your Order History. This will give you up-to-date information on the location of your package.
2. If the status says that your package has been delivered, check in the area around your house or apartment for anywhere the driver may have left the package. You should also check with neighbours to see if they may have accepted it on your behalf.
3. Verify the shipping address to ensure the package was sent to the right address by clicking “Order Details.”
4.Contact the carrier that delivered your package to see if it has further information.
If 48 hours have passed and your package with items purchased from Amazon still hasn’t arrived, you can contact Amazon customer service for further help.
How to report a missing package from a third-party seller on Amazon
If you’ve purchased an item from a third-party seller that fails to arrive, you’ll need to contact the seller first before you’re able to submit a claim. To do so, you’ll need to sign in to the Amazon Pay website using your Amazon login information. Once signed in, you’ll see a list of transaction details, next to which you’ll find options to “Contact Seller.” After you send your message, you must give the seller 24 hours before proceeding with filing a claim.
1. Sign in to Amazon Pay and click “Details” next to the transaction you have a problem with.
2. On this screen, you’ll be asked to report the problem you have with your package. In the case of a missing item, you should choose “Where’s my stuff?”
3. Click “Send to merchant” to report the issue.
How to submit a missing package claim to Amazon
If you’re not satisfied that the situation has been resolved after contacting the seller, you can proceed to submit a claim. This can be done between 14 and 90 days of purchase via Amazon’s website.
1. Sign in to Amazon and go to your Order List.
2. Next to the item that hasn’t been received, click “View/File Claim.”
3. Following the on-screen instructions, select the reason for your claim (in this case, that the item hasn’t arrived) as well as providing supporting documentation and further information, where appropriate.
4. Submit your claim.
You will be able to see the progress of your claim via your Amazon Pay account when signed in. Should your claim be approved, your payment will be refunded to your payment method. However, Amazon may deny your claim if it determines that the information in the claim is fraudulent or the seller provides proof of delivery.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.