- A Ring video camera caught an Amazon delivery driver in Florida riding away with a bike that belonged to the homeowner’s child after dropping off a package, according to local news reports from CBS Miami and ABC News.
- The driver is said to have mistakenly identified the bike as trash since it was located next to a recycling bin.
- An Amazon spokesperson said the driver is no longer delivering packages for the company.
- The video surfaces as Ring devices are being increasingly used by law enforcement.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The incident was captured on a camera made by Ring, the video doorbell company Amazon acquired for $US1 billion in 2018. The video shows the delivery worker placing the package on the front porch and snagging the bicycle as he leaves.
The homeowner, Kristin Casey, watched the driver take the bike through the Ring app on her phone while she was away from home, according to the reports. The driver is said to have mistakenly identified the bike as trash since it was located next to a recycling bin.
“We have high standards for our delivery partners and how they serve customers,” an Amazon spokesperson said in a statement to Business Insider. “We are engaged with law enforcement and the customer to ensure this is situation is fully resolved, and we’ve apologised to the customer for this experience. This individual is no longer delivering Amazon packages.”
Casey said she believes the Amazon worker is “a great person” who “made a big mistake,” according to the reports.
“I think deep down everybody is good at heart and I believe he is a great person at heart, who made a big mistake,” she said, according to CBS Miami and ABC News.
The video is surfacing as Ring’s products are increasingly being used to spot crimes, which has sparked some concerns about consumer privacy. Ring has partnered with 200 law enforcement agencies across the country, according to a report from Motherboard published in July. You can check this helpful map to see whether your local police department has partnered with Amazon.
See the video below, which shows the Amazon delivery driver riding away on the homeowner’s bike.