- AmazonCEO Jeff Bezos is purchasing three New York City apartments, including a penthouse, for an estimated $US80 million, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- The three apartments are in a building near Madison Square Park in Manhattan, and the purchase reportedly includes a three-floor penthouse, a private elevator, and 12 bedrooms.
- Sources told The Journal that Bezos had been looking for a home in New York “for months” before settling on the three apartment units.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is reportedly purchasing a New York City penthouse apartment and the two units below it in a building overlooking Manhattan’s Madison Square Park.
The deal, which was set to close Tuesday, will cost the richest man in the world an estimated $US80 million, The Wall Street Journal reports. Bezos’ purchase includes a three-floor penthouse apartment with a private elevator and large terraces as well as the two apartment units directly below it, according to the report.
The three units have a combined 12 bedrooms and span 17,000 square feet, The Journal said. The apartment building, at 212 Fifth Avenue, overlooks Madison Square Park at 26th Street.
Read more: Jeff Bezos is said to be dropping $US80 million on a set of 3 New York City apartments. Here’s a look at the 6 other massive properties his family already owns, from a Seattle estate to a Texas ranch
An appraiser told The Journal the deal was the most expensive to close in New York this year other than the massive $US240 million one by the hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin.
Bezos is said to have been hunting for a home in New York “for months.” Bezos finalised his divorce from his wife of 25 years, MacKenzie Bezos, in April. He was spotted apartment-hunting in Manhattan in April, when a source told the New York Post he was “looking for a new home now that he is single again.”
Take a look inside the Manhattan apartments that Jeff Bezos bought for $US80 million:
Bezos’ newest piece of real estate is three apartments — the penthouse and two adjacent unit — located at 212 Fifth Avenue.
The building is located in Manhattan’s NoMad neighbourhood, and overlooks Madison Square Park. It has a fitness center, a golf simulator, a game room, and a movie-screening room, according to the property’s website.
Source: 212 Fifth Avenue
The penthouse unit — which was most recently priced at $US58 million, although how much Bezos spent isn’t known — comprises the top three floors of the 24-floor building. Named “The Crown,” the penthouse has five bedrooms, a private elevator, and multiple massive terraces.
Bezos reportedly paid $US80 million for the three combined units. The apartments have 12 bedrooms in total, and span 17,000 square feet of space.
Source: Wall Street Journal
Renderings of the inside of the apartment, from creative agency VisualHouse, show just how opulent the apartment is.
The apartment is beautifully designed with modern architecture and lots of big windows to showcase the building’s view.
The penthouse on its own has five bathrooms and three additional “powder rooms,” floor plans show.
A massive great room takes up part of the penthouse’s main floor, and is adjacent to the library and the stairway that leads to the atrium level of the three-floor unit.
The second floor has a partial rooftop terrace that spans the entire length of the building. The third floor features even more outdoor room for entertainment and great views of the cityscape.
This isn’t Bezos’ first dive into New York real estate. Bezos owns four condos in a building farther uptown in Manhattan that overlooks Central Park.
- Read more about Jeff Bezos’ real estate holdings:
- Jeff Bezos is spending $US80 million on 3 NYC condos, but he already owns 4 apartments in the city. Take a look inside the building where he owns $US13 million worth of real estate
- See inside the secretive Seattle suburb that’s home to Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates, where streets are lined with opulent waterfront mansions behind tall gates and security cameras
- Here’s a look at CEO Jeff Bezos’ DC mansion, which is undergoing $US12 million in renovations
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.