- Amazon Australia today turned a blowtorch on Australian fashion retailing.
- The online retailing giant launched a local fashion store with more than 150 Australian brands.
- And announced Amazon Fashion 2018 Local Brand Award.
Amazon Australia today launched a local fashion store with more than 150 Australian brands in one place, putting further pressure on bricks and mortar outlets.
The US-based online giant pushing into Australian retailing also announced an Amazon Fashion 2018 Local Brand Award to be decided by a popular vote.
Amazon Australia last month increased the pressure on Australian supermarkets with the launch of Pantry Food and Drinks, with thousands of pantry items from more than 400 local and international grocery brands.
The expansion, Amazon’s 27th category in Australia, came less than 12 months after the launch of its Australian website, challenging local retailers, especially those in consumer electronics, sports goods and some clothing.
Amazon also launched Amazon Prime in Australia in June with free delivery, for a $59 annual membership fee, access to Prime Original streaming content and other popular movies and TV shows with Prime Video, and access to e-books with Prime Reading.
This latest move puts further pressure on clothing retailers in Australia already suffering from digital competition and poor consumer sentiment.
Amazon says there are 15 local brands in the running to win the Amazon Fashion 2018 Local Brand Award and a $75,000 marketing package to accelerate their growth and introduce them to more customers.
The new fashion storefront went live this morning featuring a curated selection of Australian labels.
“We are really excited to be empowering some brilliant home grown talent by putting them front and centre on our Fashion store,” says Angela Langmann, Head of Amazon Fashion Australia.
“We know Aussies love to shop local and we want to help them do just that with our Amazon Fashion 2018 Local Brand Award and The Local Fashion Store.”
The winner of the fashion award will be decided by popular vote from the shortlisted 15 before midnight on December 4. By voting, customers will automatically be entered into a prize draw to win a $500 Gift Card and an Amazon Echo.
1. Antoine & Stanley. A men’s leather shoes and accessories brand founded more than 10 years ago.
2. Croft. Tried and true shoemaking techniques with comfort and style.
3. From St Xavier. A handcrafted bag and clutches label. Each piece can take up to four days and 20 hands to produce.
4. Jaggar. A footwear label launched in March 2016, the brand has been worn by celebrities such as Kourtney Kardashian, Kendall Jenner, Rocky Barnes and Emma Roberts.
5. Local Supply. Founded in Bondi to set you free from overpriced sunglasses.
6. Novo. Attainable seasonal footwear designs.
7. Silent Theory. A group of young designers in Melbourne with effortless style, easy to wear clothing for men and women.
8. Skin. A footwear brand focused on providing the most sought-after high fashion footwear.
9. The Critical Slide Society. The best board shorts money can buy.
10. Third Form. Created by Merryn Kelly for a busy working life in the big city. Labelled “cult following” by VOGUE Australia and a “New Face of Australian Fashion” by Forbes.com.
11. Three of Something. Three friends joined forces to chase their dreams. The independent boutique label’s line is designed in the heart of Sydney’s famous eastern beachside suburbs.
12. Wild Rhino. Casual and dress-casual footwear.
13. Will & Bear. High quality headwear handmade from natural fibres to last the journey and to feel at home in the Australian landscape.
14. Winona. An eclectic fusion of deluxe fabrics.
15. Sol Sana. Footwear essentials for the modern woman.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.