- Amazon today released its 2018 Consumer Trends Report to mark one year of its local website.
- Nostalgia emerged as a key trend with LEGO and Monopoly popular.
- Australians love wearable tech, including FitBit, and have been spending big on their pets.
Amazon’s local website, a force disrupting retailing in Australia, is one year old tomorrow.
Since launch Amazon has acquired massive warehouse space, launched Prime, with its membership benefit of free delivery, seen the arrival of digital assistant Alexa with an Australian accent, run the first Australian Black Friday sale event, and created a local store for Australian fashion labels.
Amazon today announced that it has grown the selection available on the Australian store five-fold since launch to nearly 100 million products across 29 categories.
And Amazon for the first time has revealed the number of Australian sellers reaching customers on Amazon.com.au — almost 10,000.
“It’s incredible to think that just one year ago we launched our Australian store,” says Amazon’s Country Manager, Rocco Braeuniger.
“It has been a brilliant journey and to the millions of customers who have welcomed us, thank you.”
The company identified several popular product categories in its 2018 Consumer Trends Report:
Nostalgia and Embracing Your Inner Child
Australians have been snapping up retro games, clothes, toys, and characters, including Nintendo classic consoles, Mario Cart, LEGO, Monopoly, Connect 4 and Operation.
The trend also covers fashion with logo t-shirts, denim jackets, boldly branded hoodies, and Casio’s old-school black resin digital watch.
Wellness, Fashion and Beauty.
The trend report notes Australia’s love of wearable tech with Garmin and FitBit products making up almost half of our top 10 best-sellers in electronics.
It also looks at the strong performance of supplements and health tea with brands such Ovvio and Madura are highly popular, along with local health food entrepreneur Zen Green Tea Matcha.
New beauty obsessions such as Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, made from 100% natural calcium bentonite clay and branded as the world’s most powerful facial are also highlighted.
The Rise of the Fur Baby
Australia’s love of pets is reflected through the success of Amazon Pet Supplies on Amazon.com.au.
The most popular pet brands across dog and cat lovers from Amazon’s top 10 best-selling products include Greenies, Fancy Feast, Supercoat, Hill’s Science Diet, and Schmackos.
The best-selling pet toys came from Kong and Zippy Paws.
One of the biggest trends is the growth of personal development titles—in particular, practical advice on personal finance, relationships, health and self-improvement.
Australian Scott Pape leads the trend of business-focused books:
1. THE BAREFOOT INVESTOR 2018 UPDATE by Scott Pape
2. 12 RULES FOR LIFE by Jordan B. Peterson
3. THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK by Mark Manson
4. SAPIENS: A BRIEF HISTORY OF HUMANKIND by Yuval Noah Harari
5. PRINCIPLES: LIFE AND WORK by Ray Dalio
6. MEDICAL MEDIUM LIVER RESCUE by Anthony William
7. THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR by Benjamin Graham
8. FEAR: TRUMP IN THE WHITE HOUSE by Bob Woodward
9. GOOD TO GREAT by Jim Collins
10. LEGACY by James Kerr
And the top 10 Kindle books:
1. THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW by Finn, A. J.
2. ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE by Gail Honeyman
3. THE TATTOOIST OF AUSCHWITZ by Heather Morris
4. STILL ME by Jojo Moyes
5. LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE by Ng, Celeste
6. BEWARE THE PAST by Joy Ellis
7. NINE PERFECT STRANGERS by Liane Moriarty
8. THE TUSCAN CHILD by Rhys Bowen
9. FIRE AND FURY by Michael Wolff
10. THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK by Mark Manson
1. Christopher Nolan Collection(4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)
2. Black Panther(4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi(4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Bonus)
4. Avengers: Infinity War(4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)
5. Blue Planet II(4K Ultra HD)
6. Deadpool 2(Blu-ray)7. Thor: Ragnarok(4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)
8. The Lord of the Rings: Trilogy(Extended Editions) (Blu-ray)
9. Ready Player One BD(4K Ultra HD)
10. The Dark Knight(4K Ultra HD)
Some of the most streamed tracks on Amazon Music Unlimited in Australia:
1. YOUNGBLOOD by 5 Seconds Of Summer
2. BETTER NOW by Post Malone
3. GIRLS LIKE YOU by Maroon 5 [feat. Cardi B]
4. SHOTGUN by George Ezra
5. HAVANA by Camila Cabello
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.