- Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian’s daughter recently turned 1.
- Ohanian published a photo of Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. on Instagram but faced criticism for not saying “happy birthday” in the caption or throwing a party.
- Williams had previously said that her daughter would not celebrate birthdays, as it goes against their beliefs as Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- Ohanian gave the perfect response to the couple’s online critics.
- He said his daughter “is loved and will get to celebrate life with people who love her *plenty* of times” in her life.
Serena Williams’ daughter turned 1 this week, and her husband, the Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian, gave the best response to their fiercest online critics who said they didn’t properly celebrate.
Ohanian recently published a photo on Instagram of his daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., with the caption: “One year ago today, you changed our lives forever. My adventure princess.”
The photo delighted many of Ohanian’s followers, but the caption disappointed others who said he could have included the words “happy birthday.”
Williams said last month that she and Ohanian would not throw a birthday party as it does not align with her beliefs as a Jehovah’s Witness.
“Olympia doesn’t celebrate birthdays,” Williams said, according to The Daily Mail. “We’re Jehovah’s Witnesses. We don’t do that.”
Ohanian responded in a comment on his Instagram post to the criticism.
“I’m not a Witness, but I considered how made up it all is: the purpose of celebrating a birthday is to celebrate life with the people who love you (and to eat cake),” Ohanian said. “This baby is loved and will get to celebrate life with people who love her *plenty* of times, with plenty of parties (and eat cake – in moderation) throughout her life.”
Ohanian is no stranger to publicly expressing love and affection for his family. In July, he said that his marriage to Williams was “a front-row seat to greatness.”
Five months earlier, when Williams was set to return to tennis after giving birth last September, Ohanian installed four massive billboards proclaiming her the “greatest momma of all time.”
Ohanian has been courtside to support Williams at the US Open in Queens, New York. Williams, who is one match away from the final, faces Anastasija Sevastova in Thursday’s semifinal at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.