- Alex Morgan said she thinks “there’s too much evidence to cover up” the rape allegation against Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Kathryn Mayorga accused Ronaldo of raping her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009. The district attorney’s office in Las Vegas has said it will not charge him.
- Ronaldo has repeatedly denied the allegation and said that the case made 2018 the worst year of his life.
- Morgan recently told Sports Illustrated: “I think there’s too much evidence to cover up, and I think at the end of the day money helps put stories down.”
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Alex Morgan said she thinks “there’s too much evidence to cover up” the rape allegation against Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of their potential meeting in Milan on September 23.
Ronaldo has repeatedly denied Kathryn Mayorga’s accusation that he raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009. The district attorney’s office in Las Vegas ruled in July that the allegation could not “be proven beyond a reasonable doubt” and said it wouldn’t charge Ronaldo.
Morgan has commented indirectly on the case via social media, tweeting (and eventually deleting) a Vice article about the Portuguese star titled “Ronaldo Is an Icon of Corruption in Sports” with the caption “Now this is great journalism.”
But in an interview with Sports Illustrated last week, the Orlando Pride forward addressed the accusation directly ahead of this month’s Best FIFA Football Awards, where she and Ronaldo are nominated for the top two prizes.
“I don’t anticipate approaching [Ronaldo] any differently than I would approach anyone else who I meet” in Milan, Morgan told Sports Illustrated.
However, she added: “I do think that a lot of times in today’s climate women have spoken up, and it’s important to support those women. And I think a lot of people right now are questioning who is right and who is wrong.”
She said of the Ronaldo story, “I think there’s too much evidence to cover up, and I think at the end of the day money helps put stories down,” noting that the lack of charges meant that “he can and does continue playing.”
“What he does as a job and him entertaining people on the football field has nothing to do with who he might be as a person or the actions that he may have taken,” she said.
Morgan added: “For me, it just kind of taught me that although I’m still going to continue to stay true to what I feel in my heart and speaking up about important issues, it was really difficult to go through people having so much hatred with really understanding the story.”
The case came to light in April 2017 when the German news website Der Spiegel published an article titled “Cristiano Ronaldo’s Secret” detailing Mayorga’s allegation that Ronaldo raped her and had paid her $US375,000 to settle a sexual-assault claim.
Morgan is up for best women’s player at FIFA’s awards night, while Ronaldo has been nominated for best men’s player.
- Read more:
- Simone Biles broke her silence over her brother’s triple-murder charge, calling the shooting a ‘tragedy’
- Antonio Brown asks for ‘release’ in Instagram post after Raiders reportedly void $US30 million in guaranteed money
- Dana White says Conor McGregor told him the sexual assault he has been accused of was ‘somebody else’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.