- Airlines, cruises, and hotels all traded higher on Monday as encouraging results from Moderna’s vaccine trial boosted the so-called reopening trade.
- Moderna announced Monday morning that its experimental coronavirus vaccine was 94.5% effective at preventing COVID-19 in trial patients.
- United Airlines, American Airlines and Delta jumped more than 5%.
- Cruises stocks rallied roughly 7%, while Mariott International and Hilton Hotels also saw strong gains.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
The biotech company announced Monday morning that its experimental coronavirus vaccine was 94.5% effective at preventing COVID-19 in a preliminary analysis. The update comes one week after Pfizer and BioNTech revealed similarly positive results from early trials of their own vaccine. While both candidates still need to receive approval from the US Food and Drug Administration, their supposed effectiveness suggests a nationwide rollout could come in 2021.
The moves mimic the dislocations seen after previous encouraging vaccine updates. Stocks that would benefit the most from a full economic recovery bounce higher, while those that thrived through the pandemic slide. Monday was no different, as stay-at-home stocks such as Zoom,Netflix, and Peloton all traded lower.
Both Moderna and Pfizer aim to apply for emergency use authorization later this month. Approval would allow the companies to quickly begin distributing their vaccines to the most vulnerable populations. Even if both candidates are approved by regulators, vaccine supply is set to be very limited.
Still, new hopes for a near-term breakthrough lifted the broader stock market. Futures for the Dow Jones industrial average and S&P 500 rose more than 1% on the news. Nasdaq 100 futures erased early gains posted minor losses as major tech names fell.
Oil futures extended gains as traders hoped for a vaccine to revive travel-based consumption. West Texas Intermediate crude contracts gained as much as 4.7%, to $US42.02 per barrel.
Now read more markets coverage from Markets Insider and Business Insider:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.