- Airbnb says it will pursue legal claims and damages against a guest who threw a party at a Sacramento rental Saturday where three people were shot and injured.
- Airbnb says the guest booked the short-term rental under false pretenses, acted with negligence, and violated public health orders. The guest has been banned from Airbnb’s platform.
- It will be the first time the company has taken legal action against a guest for breaking its policies.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Airbnb announced Wednesday that it will pursue legal claims and damages against a guest who threw a party that descended into mayhem at a Sacramento, California rental over the weekend.
Three people were injured Saturday night after someone opened fire at the party, which was attended by roughly 50 people despite ongoing state mandates preventing large indoor gatherings, according to local NBC affiliate KCRA3.
This marks the first time that Airbnb has taken legal action against a guest accused of violating its policies. The company first banned house parties in November 2019 after five people were killed in a shooting at a Halloween party hosted at an Airbnb rental in San Francisco. Before that, one person was killed and at least three were injured at Airbnb house parties across Northern California in 2019, according to the Sacramento Bee.
Airbnb spokesperson Ben Breit said in a statement to Business Insider that the guest who threw the Sacramento party this week booked the rental under false pretenses, acted with negligence, and violated public health orders.
“Airbnb has no tolerance for unauthorised parties, which are expressly banned in its Community Standards,” Breit said.
The short-term rental startup has previously taken steps aiming to prevent parties at its listings. In February, the company encouraged hosts to install “party sensors” that detect high humidity and noise that may indicate a party. The company also altered its policies in July to ban guests under the age of 25 from booking rentals.
Airbnb is reportedly planning to file for an IPO later this month despite harsh conditions brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. CEO Brian Chesky said the company expects its 2020 revenue to be less than half what it was last year, and the company recently laid off 25% of its staff and hundreds of contract workers, froze its marketing, and borrowed $US2 billion.