- A 19-year-old Michigan man died on Friday, after falling from a seventh-floor balcony at the Cancun resort where he was spending spring break with his girlfriend.
- Ahmed Altaii of Dearborn died just before 10 p.m. local time. His girlfriend told Mexican authorities he had started drinking early in the day.
- Altaii, who was a student at Henry Ford Community College, will be buried in Iraq, where much of his family still lives.
A Michigan teen died on Friday, after falling from a seventh-floor balcony while vacationing in Mexico for spring break.
Ahmed Altaii, 19, fell from his hotel room balcony at the GR Solaris Cancun Resort just before 10 p.m., according to local officials who spoke to the Yucatan Times.
The cause of the fall is still under investigation. Mexican authorities have ordered an autopsy and a toxicology report.
The Dearborn man was vacationing with his girlfriend at the resort for spring break. She told authorities that he had started drinking early in the day.
Witnesses reportedly told police that Altaii seemed nervous and had been pacing around the hotel room prior to the fall, according to the Yucatan Times. Meanwhile, the Dearborn Press and Guide reported on a video that showed Altaii falling after another man bumped into him while he was sitting on the balcony.
On Sunday, about 100 people attended a vigil for Altaii at Ford Field Park in Dearborn, according to the Detroit News.
The Press and Guide reports that Altaii was a 2017 graduate of Fordson High School and had gone on to study business at Henry Ford Community College.
It was in his first week at Henry Ford that he met his girlfriend, Heidi Newman.
“I miss him so much,” Newman said at the vigil, according to the Press and Guide. “We were so happy. He was the love of my life. I wish he was here right now, we all do.”
Altaii will be buried in Iraq, where much of his family still lives, the local paper reports.
A Go Fund Me campaign has been started to raise money for Altaii’s funeral.
- Read more:
- Son of Oakland city councilwoman, USC student was shot and killed near campus
- 10 spring break horror stories that will make you want to skip the beach this year
- Expectation versus reality: 17 photos that prove what popular Spring Break destinations are really like
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.