Accused Flinders Street driver has been charged with murder

A white SUV (C) sits in the middle of the road as police and emergency personnel work at the scene of where a car ran over pedestrians in Flinders Street in Melbourne on December 21, 2017. Photo: Mal Fairclough/AFP/Getty Images

The man accused of driving a car through a pedestrian crossing near Melbourne’s Flinder’s Street train station in December has been charged with murder.

The 32-year-old accused driver, Saeed Noori, was charged with 18 counts of attempted murder following the deliberate car attack last month.

One of those charges was upgraded on Tuesday to murder, following the death of an 83-year-old man on Saturday who succumbed to injuries sustained during the incident.

Three people still remain in hospital.

The crash occured on December 21 during evening peak hour, when an SUV plowed through a pedestrian crossing in front of one of Melbourne’s busiest train stations.

Police said the attack was not believed to have been terror-related, but that it was a “deliberate act.”

Noori remains in custody and will appear at Melbourne Magistrate’s Court in late May.

This was the second car ramming incident in Melbourne in 2017.

In January, a man drove through his car through Melbourne’s central business district along busy Bourke Street, leading to the deaths of six people and injuring 20.

Police said January’s incident was also not a terror attack.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.

Tagged In