ABC's Desperate Housewives Calling it Quits After 8 Seasons

Desperate Housewives

It’s official. The upcoming season of Desperate Housewives will be it’s last, with the end arriving in May 2012.

ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee announced his decision to end Desperate Housewives this season along with the show’s creator, Marc Cherry, who both spoke at the TCA press tour on Sunday.

I just want to make sure this network that put this show on the map had its victory lap,” said Paul Lee.

I wanted to go out while the network still saw us as a viable show while we we’re still doing well in the ratings,” said Marc Cherry. “I wanted to go out in the classiest way possible.”

Discussions of whether to end with the conclusion of the coming eighth season or go for a ninth had been going on between Marc Cherry and Paul Lee for a year.

Marc Cherry said he isn’t likely to explore a Desperate Housewives spinoff given his interest in trying new material, though he joked that he felt so attached to one of the series’ stars, Eva Longoria, that he joked with her that he wanted to do a new show with her in which “I’m just going to put you in a van and solve mysteries.”

To which Paul Lee quickly responded from the TCA stage:

Bought! Done!

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.