A Sydney restaurant dumped two women on the street after they passed out from drinking too many shots

Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

A Sydney CBD restaurant had staff and patrons carry out two drunk, unconscious women and dump them on the street after drinking too much in what authorities say is “one of the worst breaches of liquor laws in NSW in recent years”.

The incident, which occurred at Gangnam Station Korean restaurant in Sussex Street last November, has resulted in the licensee, Sunhwa Kim, being handed a “first strike” under the state’s Three Strikes disciplinary scheme.

According to a police report into the incident, three women entered the restaurant at 7.55pm on 9 November, 2017, and ordered shots of “The Peach”’, a distilled spirt known as soju, a popular Korean drink.

After seven shots in less than 40 minutes, two of the women struggled to sit upright and were swaying and slumping at the table when a waitress came, collected two empty bottles and brought back a third for them.

They had an eighth shot at around 8.35pm, then two of them collapsed and fell unconscious.

Staff and other patrons carried them out of the restaurant and dumped them on the footpath. One women vomited while being carried.

Police patrolling nearby noticed people gathered around the unconscious women and called an ambulance to take them to hospital.

In applying to the the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority (ILGA) for sanctions against Gangnam Station, Liquor & Gaming NSW’s (L&GNSW) submission that the three women consumed soju in an irresponsible manner and staff made no attempts to stop service once patrons started showing signs of intoxication was uncontested.

NSW Police fined the restaurant $2,200 for permitting intoxication, and L&GNSW is considering taking further action.

The ILGA is now looking at reducing Gangnam Station’s closing time to midnight and requiring security guard trained in the responsible service of alcohol from 8pm nightly.

Director of Compliance Operations Sean Goodchild said the restaurant “showed a blatant disregard for the health and safety of patrons”.

“It’s hard to imagine a worse case of a venue failing in its obligations to prevent misuse and abuse of alcohol,” he said.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.