Psychological distance can be a powerful tool for creative work. It can come in many forms:
- Exhaustion makes us more creative.
- Jazz musicians literally turn off part of their brain to disinhibit themselves and improvise.
- Pretending you’re solving a problem for someone else can give enough distance to add insight.
- Time away from a challenge helps problem solving. Daydreaming results in better lies.
- Being drunk makes us more original.
Read more posts on Barking Up The Wrong Tree »
NOW WATCH: Ideas videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.