Check out these tech stories to start your weekend:
1. “Red shark” Naomi Simson says people needn’t fear AI taking human jobs… because she’s now selling it. Her newly formed company, Big Red Group, is selling the same AI that her famous online gift service provider, RedBalloon, used to create 24 hours of marketing work a human would need a year to do. Read more on the deal here.
2. Sydney fintech Prospa has nabbed a $20 million debt facility from Partners for Growth. The online lender is reportedly going gangbusters, now holding $400 million of loans with small business customers. Partners for Growth Australia, who also helped out fashion startup GlamCorner earlier this week, will provide the new cash to allow the startup to develop further products and look for acquisition opportunities. Read more here.
3. These are the 10 biggest deals in the Australian startup scene from the last quarter. Venture capital firm Right Click Capital has released its latest Internet Dealbook report, which shows $481.1 million of investment and acquisition deals had taken place in Australia in the June quarter through 58 publicly revealed transactions. See what the top 10 deals were.
4. The Australian Federal Police helped catch the cyberattacker who caused no end of heartaches for local businesses. The FBI this week arrested a man in Seattle who’s accused of launching denial-of-service attacks – the same type of cybercrime that brought down the Australian online census last year — on businesses in Australia, USA and Canada. Read about the joint operation here.
5. Low-entry real estate investment startup BrickX has revalued their property portfolio. Business Insider’s Sam Jacobs has taken a look at the new numbers and explains what it means to the average punter. Is it still worth putting in $100 to invest in a Sydney apartment? Read more here.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.