Welcome to the weekend.
1. A former AFL player’s startup has just raised $24 million on both sides of the Pacific Ocean. Logistics cloud software provider GetSwift has shaken off the troubles of last year, when it fell out with early backer BlueChilli and failed an attempt at a reverse listing, to take its share price from 20c to 86c since its December IPO. Ex Brisbane and Melbourne professional footballer and founder Joel Macdonald said that a significant amount of the new investment came from the USA. Read more here.
2. Qantas has welcomed 12 startups to its new accelerator, and they’re not just about planes and travel. In the first intake for the AVRO 12-week programme, there’s an insurance robo-advisor, alcohol discovery and delivery platform, a home loan marketplace and pet minding network. Read more here.
3. An Australian journalist had her mobile phone account stolen as she was talking to Telstra. Veteran broadcaster Tracey Holmes has told how, despite notifying the telco of suspicious activities, the criminals managed to get her number transferred to another telco. With online banking access linked to telephone numbers, nervous days followed as she tried to figure out the consequences. Read more here.
4. The Australian Taxation Office had another outage yesterday. While the organisation did not reveal the cause of the incident that disrupted online services for several hours in the middle of the day, iTnews reports this time the fault may lay with a different tech supplier to the infamous outages last summer.
5. 52 speed and red-light cameras were infected with ransomware. Melbourne radio station 3AW reports that an investigation has started into a mass infection of Victorian road safety equipment by the WannaCry malware, which made international headlines last month. While authorities initially insisted fines still stood, media reports have prompted the police commissioner to start an enquiry and put infringement notices on hold.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.