1. Tesla’s Autopilot is scary… but awesome. I took the top-of-the-range Model S P100D for a spin from Sydney to Orange — and activating semi-autonomous driving and auto lane change went against every instinct and muscle memory taught about driving. But the anxious heartbeats turn into admiration once you trust the technology. Read more on the experience and whether you should consider buying a Tesla.
2. TPG beat its own guidance to post a rise in profit. But the company cut dividends and warned of squeezed margins ahead, due to the NBN. The telco is also saving up cash to build Australia’s fourth mobile network in the coming years. Read more here.
3. Australian researchers have transmitted data as sound within a chip for the first time. The result could have a major impact on cloud computing and data centres by reducing the amount of overheating caused by all the computing activity. Read more on the development.
4. Parcel delivery startup Sendle has struck another marquee deal. The Sydney venture has signed a partnership with DHL eCommerce, meaning the delivery startup can now offer door-to-door delivery to more than 200 countries in the DHL network. Read more here.
5. AirBnB has slammed Australia’s hotel lobby for shutting it out. The Australian reports the home sharing service is currently legal in South Australia and Tasmania but the other states are still debating legislation around the concept. AirBnB Australia boss Brent Thomas said that he’s noticed the hotel lobby was “hunting as a pack” and locking out the startup from tourism associations even in the two states that it’s legal.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.