Hello, it’s the end of the week and this is what you need to know in Australian tech today.
1. SBS has launched a new virtual reality app. There’s only three videos on it right now, but SBS has become the first Australian broadcaster to dive into the virtual reality world. You can download the app now for either iOS or Android and watch some clips in 360° VR. It even works with Google Cardboard and Samsung’s Gear VR.
2. South Australia has legalised driverless cars. The new laws will allow manufacturers to test autonomous vehicles on South Australian roads. They only need to apply for approval from the state transport minister to get them on the road.
“By being the first state in Australia to pass these laws we are sending a very clear message to this industry that South Australia is open for business,” SA transport minister Stephen Mulligan said.
With Holden’s manufacturing facilities closing up in South Australia next year, the state government is hoping driverless car manufacturers will set up in the state to help fill some of the void left by its closure.
3. We have lots of photos from Slack’s new Melbourne HQ. Check them out, Sarah Kimmorley was there yesterday.
4. The Tesla Model 3 will be revealed at 2:30pm today. Okay, this isn’t exactly Australian news, but it’s one of the most important tech announcements in years. Tesla’s Model 3 will be their first car aimed at the mass market, aiming for an Australian price of less than $60K, a range of up to 400km on a single charge and a 0-100km/h time of less than four seconds for the highest spec version. There’s even been over 250 pre-orders from Aussies, all from customers who haven’t laid eyes on the car.
5. Telstra’s next free data day is on Sunday. Remember when Telstra went down for the fourth time in two months a couple of weeks ago? Well, this Sunday is your free data day as an apology. It starts from midnight, and thanks to daylight savings you actually get 25 hours worth of unlimited data. So get those 4K Netflix streams ready!
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.