Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Yes, the odds that you will win the Mega Millions jackpot are small. Really small — like, 176 million to 1 small.
And news outlets are not shy about telling you how unlikely you are to win. You’re more likely, they tell you, to become president, die in a plane crash, or get crushed by a vending machine.
But winning this huge prize is actually more likely than some scenarios. There aren’t a lot, but they exist.
Here’s our list:
- Getting the NCAA brackets completely right: 1 in 9 quintillion [Source]
- Your house getting hit by a meteor: 1 in 182,138,880,000,000 [Source]
- Getting 6 consecutive double-yoked eggs: 1 in 1,000^6 [Source]
- Shuffling a deck of cards into perfect, sequential order: 1 in 10^68 [Source]
- Your existence: 1 in 10^2,685,000 [Source]
That last one is particularly interesting. Winning the lottery, then, is more likely than you being alive to play. Figure that one out.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.