Sixteen people have died on New South Wales roads in the past 18 days despite police operation Safe Arrival.
Police are disappointed with the results of the operation which targets speeding and other dangerous behaviour on the roads, running from December 16 to January 2.
Acting commander of the State’s Traffic and Highway Patrol assistant commissioner Michael Corboy said speeding is still the biggest killer on the roads, contributing to about 40% of fatal crashes.
“The New Year has just started and we don’t want to see a death toll like last year. We had 384 people die in 2016, and 16 died during Operation Safe Arrival,” he said.
“We have already seen too many people and too many families learn the hard way that speeding kills.”
Spanning operation Safe Arrival, 44,134 infringements were issued, of which 19,267 were for speeding.
There were 1440 major crashes reported, resulting in 576 people injured, and 1033 people were charged with drink-driving.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.