- A 102-year-old woman is suspected of killing her 92-year-old neighbour at a retirement home they shared in northern France.
- The woman was found dead, with bruising to her face, by staff at a retirement home in the small town of Chézy-sur-Marne on Saturday.
- The 102-year-old told staff she had “killed someone” and “appeared in great agitation,” prosecutor Frederic Trinh told Agence France-Presse on Wednesday.
- The unnamed woman has been transferred to a centre for psychiatric evaluation.
- Trinh added that the nonagenarian died as a “result of asphyxiation caused by strangulation and blows to the head.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
A 102-year-old pensioner was named by French police as the only suspect in a murder investigation concerning the death of a 92-year-old women at a care home.
The unnamed woman told staff at the care home in Chézy-sur-Marne, northern France, she had “killed someone” on Saturday, Soissons prosecutor Frederic Trinh told Agency France-Presse in a statement on Wednesday.
Staff then found a 92-year-old woman with a bruised face, lying dead in the the room next door to the 102-year-old’s.
Trinh told AFP the woman died as a “result of asphyxiation caused by strangulation and blows to the head.”
“The resident of the neighbouring room, aged 102, appeared in great agitation and told one of the medical staff that she had ‘killed someone’,” Trinh went on.
No more information is known about the case, but the 102-year-old woman is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation to deem whether she can be held accountable for any alleged actions.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.