Do you remember your first desk? If you started working in an office in the 1990s, chances are your current desk looks absolutely nothing like it.
You can no longer hear the dulcet “egh-urgh-rah” tones of the dial-up internet connection, and you’re probably not working in a constant cloud of cigarette smoke while you bash away on a separate handheld calculator.
I asked the Business Insider team how their desks have changed in the last 25 years, and here are the big ones.
1. Desk phones have disappeared in lieu of smartphones
2. Pretty much everyone has multiple screens
3. Office cubicles turned into open plan which turned into “hot desking”
4. It’s now quite common for people to use standing desks
5. Windows95 is no longer the latest and greatest operating system
6. There are no more piles of books and documents, because everything is online
7. Which means we no longer need paper spikes
8. Your old CRT Monitor and CPU tower doesn’t take up most of the desk
9. The laptop itself has… changed in the last 25 years – so you can actually take it anywhere with you now
10. Our screens are now all touch screens, because who has time to use a mouse?
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.