1. Australia will be second stop for Uber’s air-travel. Melbourne will be the third city in the world and the first outside the US to host the pilot project, after Dallas, Texas, and Los Angeles, California.
2. Afterpay launches new $300 million fundraising campaign. It’s hoping to raise the funds from institutional investors. Co-founders Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen will also sell 2.05 million shares each to a US private equity investor, but will remain Afterpay’s largest shareholders. The announcement follows the revelation that Australia’s financial intelligence agency is investigating the ‘buy now, pay later’ provider.
3. One Nation MP quits. Another one bites the dust in Pauline Hanson’s One Nation party as one of three Western Australian MPs quits to sit as an independent over “frustrations”.
4. Over half of Australian consumers are now using fintech. The EY Global Fintech Adoption Index 2019 also found that mainland China and India had the highest consumer fintech adoption rate in the world, well above Australia’s rate.
5. Facebook will pay Android users for data on their app usage. The new app, “Study by Facebook,” keeps running in the background of Android phones to let the social network see which apps and devices you use. It is the successor to controversial project ‘Facebook Research’.
6. Scientists have discovered a mysterious lump on far side of the moon. It’s five times the size of the Big Island of Hawaii and is possibly the core of an asteroid or planetary chunk, or possibly a frozen ocean of magma.
7. Online lender Prospa succeeded on its second attempt to list on the ASX, raising $110 million in its IPO and sending its share price soaring 19% on its debut. The float follows co-founder Beau Bertoli opening up to Business Insider Australia about the emotional journey to yesterday.
Congratulations Prospa on being our 101st listing this financial year! Your listing adds more strength and depth to the ASX tech sector, with now over 90 tech IPOs and over $4bn raised since 2013 with more than 200 listings in total. https://t.co/bTVqxR0Nvt #ListASX #ipowithasx pic.twitter.com/huWCUyagaT
— ASX (@ASX) June 11, 2019
8. Amazon is new MVP brand. According to BrandZ’s ranking of global companies, Amazon has just overtaken Google and Apple to become the world’s most valuable brand.
9. More Brexit trouble. The UK Labour Party has launched a bid that would give MPs control of the parliamentary agenda, a move to help them block a potential no-deal Brexit in October.
10. Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry saved The Golden State Warriors. Trailing by six in the final three minutes, the pair scored nine points in 95 seconds to re-gain the lead and seal the win in the NBA finals.
In ancient news, the well preserved hug and shaggy head of a 30,000 year old Pleistocene wolf was found in perfect condition in Siberia. It’s the first Ice Age wolf found in the flesh.
THIS IS ASTONISHING! #IceAge
— The Ice Age (@Jamie_Woodward_) June 5, 2019
You can get 10 things direct to your inbox each morning by punching your details into the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.