1. The Queen’s Birthday 2019 Honours List. A number of prominent Australians have been honoured over the weekend including Hugh Jackman, Kevin Rudd and Ita Buttrose. Read the full list here.
2. French finalists. Ash Barty became the first Aussie to win a French Open in almost 50 years. Spaniard Rafael Nadal also won his 12th French Open title in the men’s competition. One rally in the third set showed why Nadal is known as the “King of Clay.”
3. “Deal reached”. US President Donald Trump says tariffs on Mexico will be “suspended indefinitely” after Mexico allegedly agreed to a number of Trump’s demands on enforcement of illegal migration. But The New York Times has reported many of the concessions from Mexico were made months ago.
3. Prospa to list on the ASX today. Online lender Prospa will host a bell-ringing ceremony in Sydney to mark a public float intended to raise $110 million. The listing follows a failed attempt to join the ASX this time last year. Prospa co-CEO Beau Bertoli spoke to Business Insider Australia about the emotional journey to today’s listing.
4. Australian politicians getting a 2% pay rise. The Remuneration Tribunal has announced its 2019 general pay increase will start on 1 July 2019. The ABC reports Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s pay will increase by $11,000 to more than $549,000.
5. China blocks The Washington Post and The Guardian. The country has blocked internet access for Chinese consumers to these sites and others in addition to previous bans on Bloomberg, The New York Times, Reuters and The Wall Street Journal. Censorship has ramped up in the weeks surrounding the Tiananmen Square massacre anniversary.
6. Games of the future. From Star Wars to The Sims, here are all the trailers for games announced at the E3 2019 conference over the weekend via our friends at Kotaku Australia.
7. Hotel in the stars. NASA is opening the International Space Station to a number of “private astronauts” each year who will be able to stay on the ISS up to 30 days each for $35,000 per night. The Russians have had a similar — and more expensive — tourist program for some time.
8. Louis steals the limelight. Rare glimpses of British Royal Price Louis were caught as Prince William and his family had a public appearance on the Buckingham Palace balcony for the Queen’s birthday celebrations.
9. Some US embassies are flying LGBTQ flags. Despite President Donald Trump’s administration advising against it, some US embassies around the world are still honouring Pride Week with a visual display.
10. Woolworths buys into Marley Spoon. The supermarket giant will take a 9.1% stake in the home meal kits group for $30 million. Marley Spoon’s CEO says it shouldn’t be labelled as a “rescue”.
A very strange figure was caught on the security camera of a woman in Colorado, with some commenters saying it looks like Dobby the House Elf from the Harry Potter series.
You can get 10 things direct to your inbox each morning by punching your details into the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.