1. Here comes retail sales. The release which provides an update on the outlook for domestic consumption will land at 11.30am AEST. The median forecast is for monthly growth of 0.3% in April, but it will likely get more attention after the March print missed expectations. Here’s your 10-second guide to get you up to speed.
2. The ANZ bank is being investigated over alleged criminal cartel conduct relating to its $2.5 billion capital raising in late 2015. The ACCC alleges that ANZ, Citigroup and Deutsche Bank acted as a cartel while handling excess stock not taken up during the raise and ended up holding almost $800 million in ANZ shares. They face tens of millions of dollars in fines if guilty. The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) is tipped to formally file charges this week.
3. The Joyce and Campion interview, which reportedly saw them pocket $150,000, went to air overnight. During the Sunday Night interview the pair showed off their newborn baby, apologised to their families, launched an attack against the Prime Minister, and discussed Campion’s decision against termination.
4. Sydney Airport is rolling out facial recognition technology even as its use is still being debated in Parliament. Just last week, the Human Rights Law Centre made a submission to the parliamentary enquiry into Australia’s proposed national facial recognition regime, specifically saying the country’s law system is nowhere near prepared to handle it responsibly. Hmm, ok.
5. Bond markets, trade turmoil, rates, and property risks — they’re the themes for Business Insider Australia’s recent episode of the Devils and Details podcast which stars Shane Oliver, chief economist at AMP Capital. You find the show online here, search for it under Devils and Details on iTunes or your podcast platform of choice, or listen in below.
6. STEEP DISCOUNTS, TIGHT LENDING: Business Insider has taken a deep dive into Sydney’s property downturn where prices have fallen around 4% over the past year. The agents we spoke to said the market was in the process of recalibrating, but downward pressure on house prices looks likely to remain over the next 12-24 months. One said it could be four years before prices rise from current levels. More here.
7. Benedict Cumberbatch is a real-life hero after he rescued a delivery man from a gang attack in London. The Avengers and Sherlock star caught sight of a man being hit over the head with a bottle while in an Uber and decided to take action. The incident was described by the driver as “surreal”.
“Here was Sherlock Holmes fighting off four attackers just around the corner from Baker Street,” he said.
8. Move over, Frank. Claire Underwood is in the house. House of Cards star Robin Wright has teased Kevin Spacey’s exit from the Netflix series in an Instagram post announcing that the final season of the show has been filmed. Get ready for an epic binge.
9. Maryborough got a roundabout, but no one else seemed to care. The Sunshine State city finally got its first roundabout but no one else was quite as pleased as Cr Daniel Sanderson who praised the idea as “really exciting”.
10. Heartbreaking. 80 pieces of plastic rubbish bags were found inside a pilot whale that died in Thailand. Rescuers spent five days trying to save the animal after it was found in a canal in the southern province of Songkhla. Here’s a look at just some of the contents pulled from its stomach.
— Reuters (@Reuters) June 3, 2018
BONUS ITEM: He gave it a good shot…
The video that shows an FBI agent's gun discharging in a Denver nightclub last night: pic.twitter.com/63zl2spVCt
— Deborah Takahara (@debtakahara) June 3, 2018
Have a great day.
You can get 10 things direct to your inbox each morning by punching your details into the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.