1. Tributes are pouring in for former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke, after he passed away “peacefully” at the age of 89. He is being remembered as a larger-than-life larrikin who pushed causes dear to both sides of politics.
2. While Bob Hawke’s legacy will dominate the final day of campaigning, Australia’s federal election will go ahead on Saturday. For those who haven’t been paying attention to the campaign, you can find out everything you need to know including when and how to vote here.
3. Australian unemployment on the rise. Australia’s unemployment rate rose to 5.2% in April, spiking to the highest level since August 2018. The unexpected rise increases pressure on the RBA to cut official interest rates.
4. Iconic Aussie boot brand R.M. Williams is up for sale. Its private equity owner is looking to offload the company for as much as $500 million, with some help from Goldman Sachs.
5. 1195 acres up for grabs in Queensland. This stretch of ‘hunting wilderness’ is located within 100 kilometres of Brisbane, but despite the owner’s best efforts, no buyers are interested. Not even in China.
6. Huawei hits back. The Chinese telco has issued a strong rebuke following US President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency, which commentators have suggested is a pre-cursor to Huawei’s ban from the American 5G network.
7. Pinterest shares plunged in late Thursday trading. In its first report as a public company, shares in the image-sharing platform took a dive of as much as 17% in its first quarterly report.
8. The science behind Game Of Thrones. Dragons and ‘white walkers’ might be a little far-fetched, but other parts of the popular HBO series have some very real science behind it.
9. “The Big Bang Theory” raking in the big bucks. Finishing up its 12th season, the actors on this show were some of the highest paid on television. But exactly how do their salaries compare to other highly-paid television actors?
10. Is the popular diet wrong? A new study has found low-fat diets could lower the risk of dying of breast cancer. However, it wasn’t found to decrease the risk of developing breast cancer in the first place.
Another day, another wedding drama. A bride from western Pennsylvania took to Facebook in a now-viral post to rant about a wedding guest who loaded up 10 containers full of food from the buffet to take home with her.
You can get 10 things direct to your inbox each morning by punching your details into the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.