Good morning, here’s the news:
- Stephen Colbert delivered a nice, humorous tribute to Steve Jobs last night.
- We set up a memorial page for all the best stuff across the web, and on our site about Steve Jobs.
Moving on to other things in the news …
- The real reason Fred Wilson and Bijan Sabet left the board of Twitter is that they sold a lot of their stock in the company.
- Watch a video of Alibaba chief Jack Ma speaking. He confirms Alibaba would like to buy Yahoo.
- Yahoo’s interim CEO held a meeting with VPs to address concerns about the company. He didn’t say much, other than the company needs to move “quickly” on its strategic review. He denied Yahoo is up for sale.
- Nuance is acquiring Swype for $100 million.
- Looks like Apple was overwhelmed with pre-orders for the iPhone 4S. Its site was down for 40 minutes past when the pre-orders were supposed to start.
- Even though the iPhone 4S has CDMA and GSM technology in it, you can’t buy it and then switch carriers. So, if you get it for Verizon, you can’t use it on AT&T later on.
- Samsung smartphones are now half of the company’s operating profit making up for weak sales in chips and displays.
- Palantir just raised another $70 million at a $2.5 billion valuation.