Morning, here’s the news:
- Steve Jobs has passed away at the age of 56.
- The best story on Jobs was written by All Things D/Wall Street Journal columnist Walt Mossberg. If you haven’t read it yet, go read it now. It’s a collection of anecdotes about their friendship.
- The next great post on Jobs comes from Brian Lam, formerly of Gizmodo. He talks about what Jobs meant to him, and what happened with Gizmodo landed an iPhone 4 months before it was released.
- Spontaneous tributes to Jobs are springing up around the world.
- Here are 13 memorable quotes from Jobs.
- New Apple CEO Tim Cook emailed Apple employees to say, “No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honour his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much.”
- We also have a collection of reactions to Jobs passing — from the President of the United States to the CEOs of Jobs’ fiercest rivals.
In other news …
- We published our Silicon Alley 100 list, which takes a look at the people who did the coolest stuff in New York tech in 2011.
- Microsoft was reported to be interested in buying Yahoo, but the report was very quickly shot down by multiple sources.
- RIM’s stock was up big yesterday on a fresh round of speculation that the company was going to be taken over.