Good morning! Here is the tech news you need to know this Friday.
1. Apple has sent out invitations for its next iPhone event. The so-called iPhone 8 will be announced September 12 at the Steve Jobs Theatre at Apple’s new headquarters in Cupertino, California.
2. Facebook is expanding access to Watch, its new video hub for original shows. The company will be making its new hub for videos available to most of its US users over the next few days.
3. Analysts say Apple could convince people to buy the $US1,000 (£776) iPhone by giving them free Apple Music. The Barclays analysts suggested that including a free year of Apple Music and 200GB of iCloud storage could make Apple $US9.8 billion (£7.6 billion) in extra iPhone revenue in 2018.
4. Uber’s new CEO plans to take the company public in 18 to 36 months. Dara Khosrowshahi reportedly told Uber employees at a meeting in San Francisco this week that Uber needed to focus on “paying the bills” and regaining market share.
5. Hackers exploited an Instagram bug to get hold of celebrities’ contact details. Instagram didn’t give details of the bug, but said it related to its application programming interface (API).
6. Alphabet-owned Nest is launching a redesigned thermostat that costs $US80 (£62) less than the original. It’s called the Nest Thermostat E.
7. The US House of Representatives will vote next week on a sweeping proposal to speed the deployment of self-driving cars. The vote could bar states from blocking autonomous vehicles, congressional aides said.
8. The EU Competition Commissioner compared German car cartels with Google. Volkswagen, Daimler, BMW, Audi, and Porsche have to face drastic consequences in the diesel sector, Margrethe Vestager told Business Insider Deutschland.
9. Three more Legendary Pokémon are coming to “Pokémon Go”. They’re called Raikou, Entei, and Suicune.
10. China has announced plans to make a train that can reach speeds of 2,500 mph. The trains could “fly on the ground,” according to those behind the project.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.