Good morning! Here is the tech news you need to know this Monday.
1. Uber’s president of ridesharing, Jeff Jones, is leaving the company after less than a year on the job. Jones’ role as president meant he was in charge of all of Uber’s operations, marketing, and customer support around the globe.
2. Brian McClendon, Uber’s vice president of maps and business platform, is also departing the company, according to The New York Times. There has been an executive exodus from Uber this year.
3. Apple’s mystery “wireless device” has been revealed in photos submitted to the Federal Communications Commission. The device appears to be a badge reader that attaches to a door assembly, most likely for Apple corporate use.
4. Facebook’s mysterious hardware group is working on at least four unannounced hardware products. The projects span everything from cameras and augmented reality to science fiction-like brain scanning technology.
5. Google is moving into to a new office in Berlin. The new space will be able to accommodate twice as many staff.
6. YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki praised Netflix for pushing the tech industry to be better for women. She made her comments in a Vanity Fair op-ed.
7. Snap, the parent company behind messaging app Snapchat, had another down day on the New York Stock Exchange last Friday. The stock briefly fell below $US19.00 (£15.33) per share and was down almost 4% as the stock market closed.
8. Leaked data suggests that Uber’s self-driving-car program has a long way to go until it gets there. Recode got its hands on internal data from the ride-hailing company’s autonomous-car unit.
9. The latest Samsung Galaxy S8 leak claims to show different colour options for the upcoming phones. Colours include “black sky,” “orchid grey,” and “arctic silver.”
10. The Samsung Galaxy S8 will reportedly use facial recognition and iris scanning to authorise payments. Samsung has embedded facial recognition technology into its smartphones in the past but this would be the first time that the company has used it for payments.
More from Business Insider UK:
- 5 details you may have missed on Sunday’s ‘The Walking Dead’
- The 21 happiest countries in the world
- ‘The Walking Dead’ fans are going crazy over a shadowy figure at the end of Sunday’s episode
- Duke flames out of NCAA Tournament with big upset loss to South Carolina
- Here’s the teaser for next Sunday’s episode of ‘The Walking Dead’