Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday.
1. Amazon struggled to handle Prime Day, its biggest shopping day of the year. The company’s website was down or glitchy for the first few hours of Prime Day on Monday, giving customers who wanted deals trouble buying items.
2. Apple is struggling to crack India, the world’s third biggest smartphone market. The company has lost executives there in recent months, and has a market share in the single digits thanks to cheap competition from Asian phone makers.
3. Netflix’s stock sank after its second quarter earnings report came in. The video streaming service didn’t add as many subscribers as Wall Street was expecting and the company’s outlook for the next quarter was also disappointing.
4. Uber faces a federal investigation in the US over alleged gender discrimination. The US equal opportunity watchdog is examining issues around equal pay and hiring practices, according to the Wall Street Journal.
5. A Channel 4 investigation uncovered how Facebook is failing to delete examples of graphic violence, child abuse, and racism. In one instance, a video of a grown man beating a small child reappeared for years.
6. Airbnb is breaching European laws with practices like belatedly adding fees and having unclear terms and conditions.The site has until the end of the month to clean up its act.
7. Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi has admitted he dropped the ball on making sure Uber’s internal culture was cleaned up, after the company’s HR chief resigned. Khosrowshahi confessed that during his first year he was mostly focused on Uber fixing its reputation “externally.”
8. The company behind a Kodak-branded mining rig has shut down, according to the BBC. Kodak said it had never officially licensed the scheme.
9. Artificial intelligence will create as many jobs as it destroys, according to a PwC analysis. That contradicts fears expressed by the likes of Elon Musk and Bill Gates that robots will take everyone’s jobs.
10. Apple released a new set of emoji on Tuesday. The new characters include a puppy dog eye emoji and an infinity symbol.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Now you can hear 10 Things in Tech each morning. Just search for “Business Insider” in your Alexa’s flash briefing settings.
One last thing: Business Insider wants your nominations for the coolest people in the British tech industry.Please get in touchif you know someone who should be included in our UK Tech 100.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.