Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday.
1. Apple will reportedly release a new Mac Mini and a redesigned MacBook Air later this year. The new laptop will reportedly feature a 13-inch higher-resolution Retina display with thinner bezels, or borders, around the screen
2. Microsoft uncovered new Russian hacking attempts targeting Republicans ahead of midterm elections. The company said that a hacking group tied to the Russian government created fake internet domains that appeared to spoof two American conservative organisations.
3.The SEC has charged a former rising star VC, accusing him of ‘misappropriating millions of dollars’ and barred him for 5 years. The SEC announced charges and a settlement with Michael Rothenberg, the founder of Rothenberg Ventures.
4. Facebook is trying to use AI to make MRI scans ten times faster. The social network’s AI lab has teamed up with the NYU School of Medicine for a new research project.
5. Nvidia revealed its newest, most cutting-edge graphics cards yet. NVIDIA announced three new additions to its graphics card lineup on Monday – the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti.
6. Elon Musk snapped back at Arianna Huffington’s advice to get some more sleep in a tweet he sent at 2:30am. Musk said he had no choice but to work long hours because the alternative was potentially catastrophic for Tesla.
7. Huawei was caught using a pro camera to fake smartphone photos in an advert. A Reddit user discovered that Huawei had used the pro camera on an actress’s Instagram page.
8. Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter could face fines if they fail to take down terrorist content within minutes. The EU Commissioner for Security Julian King is drawing up legislation which would force tech companies to take down terrorist content or face fines.
9. The founder of Cambridge Analytica’s parent company admitted he lacked an “ethical radar” on a podcast. Nigel Oakes, the founder of Cambridge Analytica’s parent company SCL Group, said in an interview that he operated “without much of an ethical radar.”
10. An iPad exploded in a shop in Amsterdam, causing an evacuation. The iPad’s battery exploded and released potentially harmful substances into the air.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Now you can hear 10 Things in Tech each morning. Just search for “Business Insider” in your Alexa’s flash briefing settings.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.