Good morning! It’s rainy, and damp here in New York, let’s dig into the news:
2. Here’s a look at what Skybox does, and some of its potential applications. Basically, it can take daily high-def photos allowing companies to monitor what’s happening on the ground. A little creepy, when you think about it.
3. Skybox is part of the “nanosats” trend which is small, low-cost satellites that get blasted into space and track everything happening here on Earth. There are a bunch of startups exploring the market.
4. Amazon is planning a new marketplace for local services like plumbers, painters, and babysitters. If you’ve ever tried to hire people to do work on your house, you know how valuable a good solution could be.
5. Facebook’s “Paper” app is struggling. Daily users are down to basically nothing, and engagement is weak.
10. Amazon is in a fight with Warner Bros. now, and as a result, it’s stopped taking pre-orders for the Lego Movie, and other movies. The fight has been going since Mid-May, but is only getting attention now because of Amazon’s fight with Hachette.