Good morning! Here’s the tech news you need to know this Thursday.
1. Apple’s App Store just had its best month ever. “Pokémon Go” is likely a big contributor to the success.
2. Walmart is in talks to buy Jet.com for as much as $3 billion (£2.3 billion). The American retailer might acquire the e-commerce site.
3. Tech dealmakers haven’t earned this much money since the dot-com bust. Revenues for tech bankers from mergers and acquisitions have hit their highest point since the bubble popped in 2000.
4. Apple says it has solved the gender pay gap. The Cupertino company released its most recent diversity report on Wednesday.
5. Intel is recalling its fitness watches, saying they are a burn hazard. The company is offering a full refund for its Basis-brand smartwatches.
6. Mobile payments company Square reported a 41.5% jump in quarterly revenue. Its stock shot up by 14% in after-hours trading.
7. Uber completed 62 million trips in July, up 15% from the previous month. The ride-hailing company recently announced that it is selling off its Chinese unit.
8. A rumour that Steve Ballmer wants to buy Twitter drove the stock up 9%. However, analyst Robert Peck from SunTrust thinks such a deal would be highly unlikely.
9. We got a look inside Facebook’s new mad science laboratory. Area 404 contains massive steel-cutting water jets that even Mark Zuckerberg can’t use.
10. Airbnb plans to build community centres in small towns, The Verge reports. The rental startup has an experimental design group called Samara.