Good morning! Here’s the tech news you need to know midweek.
1. Facebook’s next big thing is augmented reality. The social network kicked off its F8 conference on Tuesday, where CEO Mark Zuckerberg discussed the company’s plans to move into AR.
2. Google Earth has rolled out its biggest update yet. It has introduced “Voyager,” which offers curated journeys around the (virtual) world.
3. Verizon’s CEO says he’s open to merger talks with Comcast, Disney, or CBS. Shares rose around 1% following the report.
4. Apple has made its Microsoft Office killer available for free. Anyone can now download iWork.
5. Yahoo beat earnings expectations, but its stock went nowhere. It’s likely to be its last earnings report before the Verizon acquisition closes.
6. IBM’s revenue has now fallen for 20 quarters in a row. Its revenue dropped by more than expected in its most recent earnings report, causing its stock to drop 3.7%.
7. Snapchat is releasing its most impressive use of augmented reality to date. The app has announced World Lenses, which overlay virtual objects in the real worl.
8. If the latest iPhone 8 rumours are true, Samsung should be worried. The next iPhone is rumoured to have a bigger OLED screen, a glass-and-steel design, and no home button.
9. There’s a Google Doc shared by hundreds of techies to create a core set of values for Silicon Valley. Y Combinator president Sam Altman is working with others to sketch out the industry’s positions on a number of political, social, and economic issues.
10. Facebook wants people to hang out with their friends in virtual reality. It has announced Facebook Spaces, an app that gives people virtual avatars.
More from Business Insider UK:
- MPs won’t oppose Brexit because the constituency vote for Leave is far greater than the national vote
- Britain is already suffering from a Brexit-driven drag on fintech
- People invested €1 billion in just 4 months using fast-growing German fintech company Raisin
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open
- ‘GLAD TO BE OF HELP!’: Trump calls Georgia special election a ‘big’ win for Republicans
NOW WATCH: I’ve had the iPhone 6s Plus for over a year, and I’m so happy I didn’t upgrade to the iPhone 7
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.