Good morning. Here’s what you need to know.
- Asian indices were mixed in overnight trading with the Nikkei down 0.48%. Major European indices are up and US futures indicate a positive open. Now, here are the 10 unusual stocks attracting huge interest this morning >
- The Jobs Report came in better than expected, with 216,000 new jobs added. Read about it here >
- The Japanese government is expected to buy a 50% stake in TEPCO which manages the Fukushima plant via a public fund injection, according to reports. Now here are the 12 Japanese companies that were slammed hardest by the disaster >
- NASDAQ has made a $11.3 billion hostile offer for the NYSE at $42.50 a share. That is a 19% premium over the current offer from Deutsche Borse
- Chinese growth has picked up, with March’s PMI number moving up to 53.4, from 52.2 in February. There was a marked decline in input prices but there are concerns that this will soon change because of supply chain problems stemming from the disaster in Japan. Don’t Miss: 17 facts about China that will blow your mind >
- UK manufacturing growth slowed in March, with the PMI Index falling to a 5 month low of 57.1, indicating a slowdown in the economy. Companies continued to increase prices to cover manufacturing costs.
- Agricultural futures have surged after the release of the USDA report yesterday. Corn futures went up over 5% on news of lower stockpiles.
- The ISM Manufacturing Index will be released at 10 AM ET. The index is expected to come in at 61.2. Follow the release at Money Game >
- U.S. car sales data will be released today. The consensus is for 10 million sales in March. Follow the release at Money Game >
- Portugal sold $2.3 billion in one-year bonds at an auction on Friday with a 5.793% interest rate. The auction was in response to a specific demand and not part of the country’s planned debt programme. Now here are the 14 countries more likely to default than Spain >
- BONUS: Kourtney Kardashian said her kissing scene in her debut on One Life To Live made her “feel like a prostitute”.