Good morning! Here’s what you need to know today.
1.Saudi Arabia has given Iranian diplomats 48 hours to leave the country after severing diplomatic ties between the two nations. The move comes after Iranian protesters attacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran in retaliation for Saudi Arabia’s execution of a prominent Shiite cleric and 46 others.
2. Somalia’s Islamist militant group al Shabaab has released a recruitment film in the form of a documentary about racial injustice in the United States featuring Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.
3. The mayor of a city south of Mexico’s capital was shot to death on Saturday, less than a day after taking office, officials said. Gunmen opened fire on Mayor Gisela Mota at her house in the city of Temixco, said the government of Morelos state, where Temixco is located.
4. UKIP leader Nigel Farage has told of how someone tried to kill him by sabotaging the wheels of his Volvo. The incident took place in October near Dunkirk, the Mail on Sunday reported.
5. China’s factory activity shrank for a 10th straight month in December as surveys across Asia showed industry struggling with slack demand even as the policy cupboard is looking increasingly bare of fresh stimulus.
6. A money manager sent us his top chart for 2016 — and it could be a cue for ‘thunder’. Things will only get worse for Brazil, Russia, India, and China — otherwise known as the BRIC countries — in 2016.
8. A tense standoff at an Oregon wildlife center is touching on a relatively niche issue in conservative politics. On Saturday, an armed, anti-government group protesting the jail sentences of two men who set fire to federal land took control of the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in southern Oregon.
10. Apple’s next-generation iPhone 7 Plus could bring big improvements in storage and battery life.According to a new report, this year’s iPhone 7 Plus will come packing the biggest battery we’ve seen in an iPhone to date, and up to 256GB of internal storage.
And finally … These are the 21 most anticipated movies of 2016.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.