Good morning! Here’s what you need to know for Tuesday.
1. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to call a snap election on Tuesday, one day after poor GDP figures showed that the country had slipped into a surprise recession.
4. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology upgraded the chances of El Nino developing to 70% as the tropical Pacific Ocean shows signs of warming.
8. Japan cut its target of Antarctic whales killed for research by two-thirds, down to a cap of 333 from around 900.
9. Two terrorists who entered a synagogue in Jerusalem and opened fire, wounding seven worshippers, were shot dead by police.
10. Toyota plans to introduce the first commercially available car that runs on hydrogen in the US next year, a four-person sedan called Mirari.
And finally …
Thirty years after Band Aid released the hit single “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia, the song has been recorded again to help in the fight against Ebola in West Africa.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.