Good morning! Here’s what you need to know for Tuesday.
1. Five major banks, including HSBC, UBS, and JPMorgan Chase, were hit will $US3.4 billion in fines for failing to stop bankers from trying to manipulate the foreign exchange market.
3. Australia is monitoring four Russian warships that are nearing its waters.
4. The European Space Agency landed a probe, the Philae lander, on a comet for the first time in history.
5. Scientists are now waiting for more information from the probe and praying that it doesn’t bounce off the surface after a harpoon intended to stake the lander into the ground failed to fire.
6. By 2030, China has pledged to cap carbon dioxide emissions and make 20% of energy renewable, although experts say the measures don’t go far enough and it’s not clear how the country plans to achieve these goals, The New York Times reports.
7. Russia said its airforce will begin conducting air patrols from the Arctic Ocean to the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since the end of the Cold War.
10. Taylor Swift reports she earned $US2 million from streaming her songs on Spotify over the last year
, significantly less than the $US6 million Spotify CEO Daniel Ek claimed top artists would pull in over the next year.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.